Oregano The Wonder Herb
Oregano, scientifically named Origanum vulgare, is a common species of Origanum, a genus of the mint family (Lamiaceae). It is native to warm-temperate western and southwestern Eurasia and the Mediterranean region. This herb is abundant in vitamins and nutrients. Every 20 grams of dried oregano comes stuffed with 333.8 mg of potassium, 315.2 mg of calcium, 0.92 mg of magnesium and 8.56 g of fiber, which helps to control dietary cholesterol.
Therapeutic Uses of Oregana Oil:
1. Oil of Oregano is extracted, by steam distillation, from the leaves and flowers of the wild Oregano plant. The flowers and leaves are harvested when the oil content of the plant is at its highest.
2. The oil is rich in minerals like Zinc, which provides excellent early defense mechanism against colds and nourishes the skin, and Iron, a basic building block for red blood cell production. This essential oil also shows traces of vital B vitamins, including B-3, and B-6.
3. Studies have shown that the essential oils in Oregano, Thymol and Carvacol have natural antibacterial and anti fungal properties, similar to that of penicillin. These oils also inhibit the growth of yeast, including Candida albicans, which causes infections like vaginitis and oral thrush.
4. Oregano decelerates the cell deterioration process. This is largely attributed to the presence of vitamin C (~10mg), which helps form collagen and hold cells together for healthy skin, teeth and gums.
6. Rosmarinic acid, present in Oregano oil, has shown to have more antioxidant properties than potatoes, apples and oranges.
7. The high concentrations of Thymol and Carvacolin, calm upset stomachs, and aid digestion by increasing gastro-intestinal enzyme secretions. Oregano tea can help with both constipation and diarrhea, and also help to expel parasites from the body.
8. Oregano also has respiratory benefits. The oil of Oregano when used as an herbal medicine fights against cold and flu.
9. It has properties that are natural antihistamines and decongestants. Oregano oil can be massaged onto the chest or taken internally to help treat and prevent seasonal allergies, calm asthma and soothe a cough.