15 REASONS TO ADD OLIVES TO YOUR DAILY DIET
1. Prevents Cholesterol Oxidation: Both monounsaturated fats and polyphenols found in olives help prevent oxidation of cholesterol that causes blood vessel damage and dangerous plague formation or atherosclerosis. The oleic acid in olives can change signaling patterns at a cell membrane level, specifically altering G-protein associated cascades, resulting in lowering blood pressure, and protecting against cardiovascular diseases, such as stroke and heart attack.
2. Heart Health: Along with the anti-cholesterol benefits, polyphenols in olives support the cardiovascular system by preventing blood clots that can lead to a myocardial infarction or deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and also promote vasodilation. This reduces the load on the cardiovascular system.
3. Detoxification: Olives contain rich fiber revitalize important organs liver and the colon, through its cleansing action, thereby enriching the digestive functions, and speeding up expulsion of fatal toxins.
4. Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Cancer: Polyphenols, compounds squalene and terpenoid, vitamin E, and beta-carotene reduce chronic, excessive inflammation and provide vital antioxidant properties against colon, breast and skin cancer. Vitamin E, along with the stable monounsaturated fats found in olives, protect cell’s mitochondria (DNA), make cellular processes safer and neutralize free radicals in body fat.
5. Bone Health: Olives are rich in vitamin D, calcium and phosphorous, essential for growth and maintenance of the skeletal tissues. It helps prevent bone conditions such as rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults.
6. Skin Shield: Olives contain relatively high amounts of essential fatty acids and beta-carotene, the precursor to antioxidant vitamin A, and vitamin E which play an important role in stimulating skin regeneration, providing protection from UV radiation, and guarding against skin cancer and premature aging.
7. Vision Care: Vitamin A which, when converted into the retinal form, improves your night vision and is effective against cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma and other age-related ocular diseases.
8. Weight Loss: Monounsaturated fatty acids slow down the digestion process and stimulate the hormones cholecystokinin and serotonin that trigger the satiety (fullness) signals in the brain. Olives also helps your body to stimulate the production of fat-burning chemical adiponectin, and reduces insulin insensitivity.
9. Pain Reliever: Green Olive oils contain anti-inflammatory compound oleocanthal, a type of non-selective inhibitor of cyclooxygenase (COX). Olive oil naturally reduces the pain of chronic inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and can be added to a daily diet to aid in pain reduction.
10. Lessens Allergies: Olive extracts block special histamine (H1) receptors at the cellular level. During a allergic reactions, the Histamine numbers rise manifold and if these are controlled then the body’s inflammatory response doesn’t go out of control. Olives increase blood flow and help lessen the effects of illnesses such as asthma through its anti-inflammatory properties.
11. Digestive Aid: Olive oil naturally activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones, lowering the incidence of gallstone formation and its antimicrobial properties have a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. Fiber in olives, prevent the digestive tract from overworking and maintain the balance of chemicals and populations of microorganisms in the gut.
12. Iron Source: Black Olives are very high in iron, which heighten the haemoglobin and oxygen levels in blood, vital for energy production in cells, and is a necessary part of a number of enzymes, including iron catalase, iron peroxidase, and the cytochrome enzymes. It also helps produce carnitine, a nonessential amino acid important for the utilization of fat.
13. Goodbye Supplements: If you are taking multi vitamin supplements, to cover vitamin or mineral deficiencies, then adding olives to your diet will not only nourish the body but also provide the body with more energy, strength and vitality.
14. Increases Glutathione Levels: Olives have shown the ability to increase blood levels of glutathione-one of the body’s premier antioxidant nutrients.
15. Nutritional Benefits: Olives are rich in essential fatty acids, especially oleic acid, an omega-9 monounsaturated fatty acid. They are also excellent sources of minerals (potassium, calcium, phosphorous, zinc, iron), vitamins (beta-carotene, vitamin E, D and K), anti-oxidant phytonutrient (polyphenols) flavonoids, and fiber.